Type: Motor neuron, interneuron
Male Wiring Project:
In Wormbase: RID
Lineage: AB alappaapa
Location: Head
Description: Single neuron, situated in the dorsal ganglion. RID sister undergoes apoptosis during embryonic development. RID has a short dorsal process and a long ventral process. In 90% of animals the ventral process of RID runs down on the left side of the NR and enters the VNC on the same side. In the remaining 10% it runs down on the right side and enters the nerve ring on the right (pers. comm. M. Zhen; Wang et al., 2016). The process then exits the VNC via the same-side amphid commissure and continues as a commissure to reach the DC and runs along the length of the DC
Neurotransmitter/ Neuropeptide:
Innexin expression:
Receptor expression:

Click image for closeup view Click pictures for higher resolution images


Click here for larger version
RID (AB alappaapa) development in the embryo.
Dorsal view. Bottom is left side of the embryo. Spheres indicate individual nuclei. Black sphere: ancestors of RID; dark grey spheres: apoptotic cells; other cells follow the WA color code (after they acquire specific cell or tissue identities). 0 min is fertilization. Click on the movie for higher resolution rendition (by A. Santella & Z. Bao).

Last revision: July 3, 2014